If you haven’t noticed, owning your own business has become a very popular trend in the last few years. Home-based businesses have been particularly popular. Have you ever considered the reasoning behind this? Or asked yourself if owning your own business is better than working for someone else? Well, I have discovered that owning my own business prevails overs working for corporate America any day. Here’s why:
1. You Control Your Own Destiny Many entrepreneurs consider themselves “Type-A” personalities, people that like to take control and make decisions. In other words, owning a business saves them from having to work for anyone else. One reason to own a small business is the ability to direct the culture of your company. When you’re in the driver’s seat, you are making the decisions on how best to steer your company into the future. This might be overwhelming for some and one must know when and how best to delegate. However, when you are able to make your own decisions about how best to operate day-to-day, this leads to creating a culture, a brand and an organization.
2. You Can Find Your Own Work/Life Balance
One of the most oft-cited benefits of owning your own business is the flexibility that comes with it, whether that be working from wherever you want, setting your own hours, wearing a nightgown or even sitting next to your pet while you work.
3. You Choose the People You Work With
When you work for someone else, you rarely get to choose whom you work with. If you don’t like your co-workers you’d better start sending out resumes. That’s not the case when you own your own business, since you get to make the decisions about who to hire (and fire). Surround yourself with positive people who give you the confidence and optimism you need to keep moving forward. Weed out the people that put out negative vibes. The smaller your organization, the larger choice you have about who you work with.
4. You Can Follow Your Passion
Many entrepreneurs say the long hours they invest in growing their business doesn’t feel like work because they’re actually having fun in what they’re doing.
5. You Can Give Back to Your Community
Many entrepreneurs love the idea that in building their business, they can give back to the community or communities they operate in the form of the products and services they offer, by donating to charities and especially the ability to create jobs, which is particularly important these days.
6. You Feel Pride in Building Something of Your Own
One of the biggest differences in owning your own company as opposed to working for someone else is the sense of pride you establish in building something of your own. There is nothing like being successful through your own leadership, abilities, ideas and efforts. Not only are there benefits from such self-actualization – you also get to brag about what you do.